Tuesday, December 12, 2006

My New Hobby

This is one of those "guy posts". Some women might find it interesting, but don't feel bad to just skip this one over.

I recently purchased an early Christmas present for myself. One day as I was shaving, I realized that buying expensive disposable razors was silly and I wanted something more practical. Don't get me wrong, I love my Mach 3 and am very pleased with it's close cut, but I wanted a change. I thought, what about getting a straight razor?? I don't know anyone who uses a straight razor and I've only seen one once at a barber shop about 5 years ago.

So like anyone in my generation who wants more information in 1 second than I could ever read in my whole life, I went to Google. I typed in "straight razor" and found some really sweet sites and realized that I wasn't the only one interested in this. I started reading and feeling overwhelmed by all of the different tools needed for sharpening and just basic upkeep of a straight razor. Also, the prices were way out of my range. For a few months I just put it on the back burner. In November, I went back to a few sites that I had bookmarked and found a really sweet deal on a "starter kit".

I got my new kit in the mail a couple weeks ago and have been practicing not slashing my face with the sharpest thing I've ever touched...fun stuff!!

If anyone is interested in making the change to a straight razor, check out these sites. The first one is a great resource to find lots of info about using a straight razor and the second is a link to the store where I got my starter kit.

http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html
http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com/categoryNavigationDocument.hg?categoryId=5

2 comments:

AJ and Andie Culp said...

Um, aren't there laws about posting scant pictures of Joshy-Poo shaving? Took me two days to get back to eating solids, and nearly three nights to start sleeping again. Very discomforting.

Josh said...

Um, yeah there's laws about that. My wife did that...not me. They've been deleted so no worries. You can go back to eating solids :)